One of our more interesting projects required A.R. Marani, Inc. to carefully demolish approximately 70% of the structure of two mid-group 1920’s row houses in midtown Baltimore and reconstruct them to be one building for use as a bar, restaurant and banquet facility.
Demolition included removing the entire front wall of the building, removing most of the first-floor framing and partially removing the second-floor framing and part of the roof structure. As the demolition proceeded the new framing was installed so that the adjacent buildings and remaining structure were not weakened to be in danger of collapsing.
Once the upper floors, roof and front wall were reconstructed, three feet of earth was excavated from the basement to lower the floor and provide clearance to use the basement for storage and beer distribution. The perimeter walls were underpinned, a new basement slab poured and a new first floor was installed using steel framing, metal deck and concrete.
New electrical, water, gas, sewer and fire services were brought into the building. Inside the building all new mechanical and electrical systems were installed and the building was fully sprinklered. The original row houses were approximately 7,000 square feet and the finished building is over 10,000 square feet.
Reconstruction took 12 months. The first floor included an upscale liquor store and wine shop, two full bars, a commercial kitchen and an outdoor patio. The second floor included offices, retail space, stage/banquet room, warming kitchen and a bar for the banquet room. A third-floor mezzanine provided offices overlooking the retail store.
|David H. Gleason Associates, Inc.